Terms of Use

You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time.

If you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, Social Security will reduce your benefit. 

For 2019, this limit on earned income is $17,640 ($1,470 per month). The amount goes up each year.

If you are collecting Social Security retirement benefits before full retirement age, your benefits are reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over the limit.

If you work and are full retirement age or older, there is no limit on the amount of money you may earn and still receive your full Social Security retirement benefit.

Taking Social Security early:

Beginning to receive Social Security benefits at age 62 decreases the amount you receive by 30%. The reduction for starting benefits at age 63 is about 25%; 64 is about 20%; 65 is about 13.3%; and 66 is about 6.7%.

The amount you can earn while receiving Social Security depends on your age. Your earnings in (and after) the month you reach full retirement age will not affect your Social Security benefits. However, your benefit is reduced if your earnings exceed certain limits for the months before you reach your full retirement age.   

Full retirement age:

The absolute earliest you can start claiming Social Security retirement benefits is 62. If you turn 62 in 2019, the full retirement age will increase to 66 and six months. Full retirement age is set to increase by two months each year until it hits 67.

If you are already receiving your retirement benefits, a special higher earnings limit applies in the calendar year you turn your full retirement age (66 for folks retiring in 2019). If you will reach full retirement age in 2019, you may earn up to $3,910 per month without losing any of your benefits, up until the month you turn 66. But for every $3 you earn over that amount in any month, you will lose $1 in Social Security benefits. Beginning in the month you reach full retirement age, you become eligible to earn any amount without penalty.

The same earnings limits apply to a spouse or child who works and receives benefits on your record. 

You should report earnings to the SSA for any months and years prior to full retirement age.

Be sure to contact your tax planning professional or Social Security with questions.

Source:  SSA.gov